Thursday, August 21, 2008

New York Jets Leaving Hofstra

I'm pretty bummed that the New York Jets are not gonna practice any more at Hofstra University in Hempstead, NY just a short ride up Hempstead Turnpike for me. I've been spoiled with the NFL New York Jets practicing a few miles away most of my life. I've taken the opportunity to attend practice a few times every year for as long as I can remember. I took my daughter, five years old at the time, to practice two years ago and we were steps away from Curtis Martin, a living legend. There was nothing but a little fence seperating us. It absolutely left a lasting impression on my now seven year old. She still says to me "I miss Curtis, Daddy". I was there when Bill Parcells brought Vinny Testeverde back to New York. I watched the ageless Testeverde toss passes to Keyshawn Johnson and Wayne Chrebet while Parcells barked sarcastically at them. I went this year in the rain to the annual Green vs White Game before they released Pennington. I would have gone to see Brett Favre practice with his new team over the last two weeks but it's been too much of a zoo over there for me to deal with the hysteria.

It's kind of sad, though, that the NY Jets will be severing their last ties to New York. I mean they now practice and play in New Jersey. Why not just change their name to the New Jersey Jets. We could call them the Joisey Jets. Ehhh! What-a-ya-gonna-do? I'll still be a Jets fan. I'm smitten for life. I guess if I want to see the Jets practice next year I'll have to spend my $5.00 a Gallon on gas and head over the George Washington Bridge in bumper to bumper traffic just to get a peek. I don't think I'll be doing that too often. Oh well, thanks for allot of great memories Jets. I hope you like your new facility in Jersey.

Jets Practice at Hofstra July o7

No comments: