Sunday, September 21, 2008

Bottom Of The 9th 2 Outs Full Count For Yankee Stadium

It's hard to believe tonight is the last game at Yankee Stadium, "The House Ruth Built". Wow! Even this Mets fan can wax poetic about the MLB stadium with the richest history in the league. It's seen more World Series Games and MLB Championship Teams than any other baseball stadium in history. For me it's partly because my parents were both born and raised in The Bronx and my Father, Grandfathers, and Uncle were obviously NY Yankee Fans from the get go. My parents eventually settled on Long Island and my Father switched over to The NY Mets since my brother (not me yet since I was but a tot) and eventually I were Mets fans due to the proximity of Queens and Shea Stadium. The Mets were, and are, more of a Long Island team in my opinion. Anyway, I saw my first baseball game I can remember at Yankee Stadium probably around 1969 when I was 4 years old. My Grandfather brought my brother and I. I wish I had a picture from that day. I do have a memory though. My Grandfather was upset that all my brother and I were interested in were the hot dogs, cotton candy, and peanuts. Oh well, what do you expect from two little Mets fans? I still feel it's sad that this "Coliseum" of sorts will be torn down. What an incredible building. It's as much part of the New York landscape as The Twin Towers were. Well it's the bottom Of The 9th, 2 Outs, Full Count for Yankee Stadium. Goodbye House That Ruth Built. We'll miss you. You'll forever be ingrained in our memories as New Yorkers and Major League Baseball fans.

No comments: